DAAD Postgraduate (Master’s/PhD) Scholarships 2018/2019 for Study in Germany
Application Deadline: Varying by Institution
Postgraduate courses for young professionals from developing countries
Internationally recognised Master’s and PhD degree
Duration: 12-24 months for Master (depending on the particular institution) and 36 months for PhD
Includes German Universities and “Fachhochschulen” (Universities of Applied Sciences)
Support of selected programmes with a variety of scholarships (including German language courses)
Funded by the BMZ (Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development), but admission also open to self-financed participants or students financed through government or other sources
Academic year 2018/2019
With its development-oriented postgraduate study programmes, the DAAD promotes the training of specialists from development and newly industrialised countries. Well-trained local experts, who are networked with international partners, play an important part in the sustainable development of their countries. They are the best guarantee for a better future with less poverty, more education and health for all.
The scholarships offer foreign graduates from development and newly industrialised countries from all disciplines and with at least two years’ professional experience the chance to take a postgraduate or Master’s degree at a state or state-recognised German university, and in exceptional cases to take a doctoral degree, and to obtain a university qualification (Master’s/PhD) in Germany.
Graduates with at least two years’ professional experience
Individual scholarships exclusively for Postgraduate courses in Germany that are listed on the “List of all Postgraduate courses with application deadlines”.
The Typical Scholarship Holder:
• Works either for a public authority or a state or private company in a developing country and,
as such, is engaged in the planning and execution of directives and projects with emphasis on
development policies having a bearing on technological, economic or social areas.
• Holds a Bachelor’s degree (normally four years) in a related subject.
• Has completed an academic degree with far above average results (upper third) and ideally at
least two years of related professional experience after the first degree (bachelor).
•His/her academic degrees should normally not be more than six years old
At present, postgraduate courses are offered in the following fields:
• Economic Sciences/Business Administration/Political Economics
• Engineering and Related Sciences
• Regional and Urban Planning
• Agricultural and Forest Sciences
• Natural and Environmental Sciences
• Medicine and Public Health
• Social Sciences, Education and Law
• Media Studies
Depending on academic level, monthly payments of 750 euros for graduates or 1,000 euros for doctoral candidates
Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding
Duration of funding
12 to 36 months (dependent on study programme)
Candidates fulfil the necessary academic requirements and can be expected to successfully complete a study programme in Germany (above-average result for first academic exam – top performance third, language skills)
Candidates have a Bachelor degree (usually a four-year course) in an appropriate subject
Candidates have at least two years’ professional experience
Candidates can prove their motivation is development-related and be expected to take on social responsibility and initiate and support processes of change in their personal and professional environment after their training/scholarship
Required Documents for a DAAD scholarship application (in the following order):
• Download and Fill DAAD application form
• Hand-signed CV (please use the sample europass form http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/)
• Hand-signed Letter of Motivation (with reference to current occupation, two pages maximum)
• Research Proposal (if required by university)
• Academic Letter/s of Recommendation from your university; the letter must have a signature and official stamp and must be of recent date (not in a sealed envelope)
• Professional Letter/s of recommendation from your employer; the letter must have a signature and official stamp and must be of recent date (not in a sealed envelope)
• Certificate(s) of Employment from the employer in the home country and if possible, a guarantee of re-employment upon returning home.
• Proof of Language Skills:
• English – IELTS or TOEFL (Note: The institutional TOEFL is not accepted.)
• German – required for courses taught in German
• Copies of Academic Degrees
• Copies of Academic Transcripts
• Copy of School Leaving Certificate
• Applicants from the People’s Republic of China are asked to submit an APS Certificate with
their application documents
For More Information:
Download DAAD Postgraduate Scholarships 2018/2019 Brochure
Visit the Official Webpage of the DAAD Postgraduate (Master’s/PhD) Scholarships 2018/2019