Four Persons Arrested over Attack on Emir Of Kano’s Convoy
Nigerian News (Kano) — Four suspects have been arrested in connection with the attack on the convoy of the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero, it emerged yesterday.
The deputy governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, also confirmed the arrest to AFP yesterday but declined to give numbers.
This comes as the Sultan of Sokoto and President-General of the Jama’atu Nasril Islam (JNI), Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar III , condemned the attack, describing the attackers as cowards.
The Senate President, David Mark, the Northern Governors’ Forum, and the Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) were also among those who condemned the attack yesterday.
Kano State deputy governor Abdullahi Ganduje said some suspects have been arrested over the attack but he declined to say how many.
But a security source said on condition of anonymity that four suspected members of Boko Haram sect have been arrested, claiming that one of them had allegedly confessed to participating in the attack on the emir’s convoy.
Meanwhile, the death toll in an attack by gunmen on the convoy of the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero, has risen to five, the police said yesterday.
“The interim chairman of Kura Local Government Area and his driver were also killed by some gunmen who pursued them from the scene of the attack on Emir Ado Bayero,” Kano police spokesman Magaji Majia also told AFP.
Kano State Governor Musa Rabiu Kwankwaso had earlier told AFP that three people in the emir’s convoy were killed in the Saturday attack.
The unknown gunmen opened fire on the emir and his convoy as they were returning from a Qur’anic graduation ceremony in Kano city.
The politician, Salisu Abdullahi Kura, and his driver had left the convoy in the confusion that followed the attack but were trailed by the gunmen in a cab and shot dead in a nearby street, Majia said.
The 82-year-old Bayero, who was not hurt in the attack, flew out of the country to the United Kingdom yesterday along with his two sons injured in the attack, an official in his palace said.
“The emir left for London around 1:15 pm to cool off after the traumatising event of yesterday,” said the official.
Security was tightened yesterday in Kano, following the attack. Armed soldiers and policemen patrolled the streets and intensified their search on vehicles at checkpoints in the city.-Leadership