Principal Suspect in Emir of Kano Attack Arrested
News from Kano Nigeria — One of the Principal suspects arrested in connection with Saturday’s gun attack on the Emir of Kano is providing useful information to security agents by divulging details about masterminds and executors of the attack, security sources told Daily Trust.
The man, tagged as the principal suspect, was picked by security forces in Kano State hours after the attack on the convoy of Alhaji Ado Bayero in which six people were killed.
“The suspect was apprehended at an area that is notorious for insurgents’ activities. Since he was taken into custody, he has been cooperating with his interrogators, giving blow-by-blow account of the attack,” a security source told Daily Trust in Kano yesterday.
The officer said the interrogation was being conducted by senior officers, adding that measures had been taken to restrict access to the suspect.
“Going by the nature of the attack and its target, security heads in Abuja have been coordinating the interrogation by phone and even suggesting questions to be asked,” he said.
“He gave the information that led to the arrest of three more suspects and has also explained how they have been launching attacks, with details about their sources of arms and commanders,” he added. The security officer said there were hopes that more arrests would be recorded.
When contacted, Joint Task Force spokesman Captain Ikedichi Iweha and his Police command counterpart Musa Magaji Majia declined to make comments on the arrests, saying investigations were still on and that the public will be informed on the outcome at the appropriate time.
On Sunday Kano State deputy governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje had said after accompanying the emir to the Kano airport that security agencies had made some arrests in connection with the incident and that some of the attackers were non-Nigerians.
Bayero’s convoy was attacked by more than a dozen gunmen as it drove out of Hausawa quarters after the monarch had attended Qur’anic graduation ceremony and commissioned an Islamic school at Masallacin Murtala.
Six persons were killed in the attack, including three of the emir’s servants, as well as the interim chairman of Kumbotso Local Government Area, Alhaji Salisu Abdullahi Kura. Two of the emir’s sons, Ciroman Kano Alhaji Sanusi Ado Bayero and Turakin Kano Alhaji Nasiru Ado Bayero, were injured in the attack, with reports saying the emir had been slightly wounded. Bayero was flown to the United Kingdom together with the two sons on Sunday for what state government officials said was a routine medical check-up that was unconnected with the incident.-dailytrust